Popular Posts

Friday, May 2, 2014

Test Ride: 2014 Novara Gotham



2014 Novara Gotham

 One of the nice perks of my day job is the opportunity to do a bit of traveling.  While on the road just outside of Austin in Georgetown, I had some downtime, so I punched REI in the GPS and found one a couple of miles away from the hotel.  Sweet!  I’m a big fan of REI (no, I don’t work for them, nor am I compensated for saying this) but I had no idea what kinds of bikes I would find in the flats of Texas.  I was expecting to find mostly road and mountain bikes, but lo and behold, there was the 2014 Novara Gotham in the store.  I asked to take it for a test ride and one blaze orange bib and a helmet later, I was out the door.

 Here’s my take:

 
 
The bike really takes the name “Gotham” seriously.  The frame, chainguard and matching metal fenders are painted in a satin black to give it an edgy, urban look, while the fluorescent green accents provide some pop. 
 
 
 
Overall, the look is understated, but a head turner all the same.  I can imagine this bike coming towards me and thinking “here’s another flat-black-rattle-can-spray-paint-job-on-a-bike”.  Then as the bike comes closer, wondering what on earth I’m looking at.  Then nodding my head in appreciation as the bike zips past and the rider with the gravely voice proclaims “I’m Batman”.  The bike definitely has an attitude.

 


The bike is equipped with the NuVinci N360 Continuously Variable Planetary (CVP) rear hub and a Gates Center Track belt drive.  This was my first time using either of these systems.

 


The NuVinci N360 hub is nothing short of revolutionary in my mind.  After spending a lifetime shifting gears and dialing in my cassettes and chainrings based on the terrain I’m riding, to fine tune my “gear selection” with just a slight twist of the “shifter” (is that the correct terminology?) to get it just right without compromising between too much and not enough, was a mind blowing experience.  The shifter display is about as easy as it gets.  It's like the NuVinci version of "Clippy" from MS Office:
 
 
 
A nice flat road = high gear-hammer time!
 
 
 
Uh oh, getting a bit hilly - time to back it down a bit

 
Mountains!  better drop into the Granny gear!
I jumped out of the saddle and hammered on the pedals while shifting under pressure, and there wasn’t even a hesitation or delay.

 


I hope Fallbrook Technologies, the manufacturer of the NuVinci N360 thought about longevity when making this hub, because I can’t imagine what the innards of this beast look like, and from my understanding, it’s not serviceable.  But if this hub is made more the long haul (which I consider daily use in all kinds of weather for at least 4 years), I’m sold.

 


The new and improved Gates CenterTrack belt drive is designed to correct the tensioning and tracking concerns from their initial Carbon Drive offering.  I always liked the idea of a belt drive system.  I’ve been a shade tree mechanic my entire adult life, so it makes sense to me.  Most automotive belts can last 80,000 miles without a problem, and this belt looks like a lighter duty version of an automotive belt since it has carbon cords instead of steel.

 

The system worked without a hitch and was super quiet, but only time will tell if the issues from the previous system are now in the past.  For those of you who like the look of a chain stamp on your right leg, you’re out of luck.  Overall, the drivetrain is a perfect match for the urban environment this bike was made for.



 





 
 
Stopping power is supplied by Tektro Gemini hydraulic disc brakes.  Honestly, the brakes didn’t have enough modulation for me, which is a surprise, since I’m normally a fan of hydraulic brake systems and the ability to feather the brakes.  There seemed to be a lot of travel in the levers before pads started hitting the discs.  I spoke to the guys in the bike department at REI and they felt that an adjustment in the levers was all that was needed.  I agree, because they weren’t squishy like there was air in the lines.  I’d like to try them out when they’re properly adjusted but for now, the jury is out.

 
 


Still, it makes perfect sense to put disc brakes (especially hydraulics) on a city bike since they work so well in all types of wet and cold weather.  Disc brakes tend to be heavier than calipers or linear pull setups, but on a city bike, this is less of an issue.  Let’s face it, it’s better to stop when needed, than save 170 grams and end up as someone’s hood ornament.

 


The 6061 aluminum frame comes in three sizes XS/S, S/M, L/XL, and features a sloping top tube and 1 1/8” threadless aluminum straight blade forks.  The welds were nicely laid, and I couldn’t find any gaps.  For added strength a gusset was added to the seat tube.  There aren’t any specs on the frame, but I would guess a 72° head tube angle and a 71.5 seat tube angle.  All in all it’s a pretty standard configuration for a commuter/hybrid/city bike, but it doesn’t disappoint.  The ride was predictable but not lazy.  You can easily lay into a turn and the bike responds well and tracks a nice line.  The steering is quick but not squirrely, and there’s no flex in the bottom bracket.

 

 To be honest, given the stiffness of the aluminum frame I don’t know if the bike will beat you up when going over rough city streets since I was riding around in the suburbs of Texas and not the cobblestones of Portland.  All I can say is that on the roads I was riding on, the bike felt great, even going over curbs.  The Schwalbe Marathon 700x38c tires no doubt helped with the ride.

 


I would love to see this bike built out of Reynolds 520 double butted tubing and match it with a fork that has a bit of rake like their Randonee frame.  The Randonee has been around since REI came out with the Novara line over 30 years ago, so there’s a proven track record on how this frame rides.  I can only say that I hope REI didn’t miss out on an opportunity to combine a traditional steel frame with the cutting edge technology and come up with a truly exceptional bike.

 


Other tidbits

The bike comes standard with a rear rack that I’ve never seen the likes of before, and frankly I like it.  The attachment at the chainstays is widened about a 1/2” on either side.  According to the bike shop guys at REI, it’s essentially to keep panniers or other cargo you strap on the rack out of the tires and drive train.  It may also help to eliminate kicking your panniers with your heels when pedaling.
 
 

 


 
 There’s also the option for a front rack especially designed for the bike called a Barrow Basket.  This is installed using the N-Dock mount which is welded to the headtube of the bike.  Get yourself a Barrow Basket and an Allen wrench.  All it takes is four bolts and you’re ready to haul another 20 pounds groceries.

 


The bike also comes standard with a battery operated AXA riff rear light with an auto on feature and a Lezyne front light which is rechargeable via USB

 


The rims are 700c Weinmann 36-hole SEC-16 black rims with eyelets.  We talked about the NuVinci N360 rear hub.  The front hub is from Joytech and features sealed bearings.

 


The handlebars are swept back and have a slight rise.  There not your standard North Road bars, since they allow you to lean forward a bit.  These bars combined with the 90 mm stem, faux cork ergo grips and Selle Royal seat make for a comfortable cockpit.

 



 

I have to say that I really liked the Novara Gotham.  It’s not a traditional, vintage ride by any means.  It takes the concept of a city bike and turns it on its head, and I think the designers who created this bike had a fun time doing so.

 


I also like the fact that it takes the best from all types of bikes to make it a unique standout.  It has all the bells and whistles of a modern bike, and other than a lock, there’s nothing you need to buy to start riding, even in the dark.  It’s the full package.

 

2 comments:

  1. Probably going to buy one of these. You have confirmed its a good package. And it's 15% right now! FYI the 2013 Gotham was a chromoly steel frame, had a dynamo powered headlight, and looked more traditional. I'm not sure why it changed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to post this since there's very little info available regarding the 2014 Gotham. Your photos are also superb and much better than the REI website. Pretty sure I'll be getting one of these since it ticks all the boxes as a perfect all-weather commuter: Aluminum frame, belt drive, internal hub, disc brakes plus fenders, racks, lights and kickstand all included. The N-Dock front rack mounting is novel as well. From a handling perspective, definitely better to put the load on the frame instead of the handlebars.

    ReplyDelete